Before I was actually a mother I used to dream of crisp white polo shirts, khaki pants and white eyelet dresses for my children. In those dreams my children would also have perfectly manicured hair, no bumps or bruises (ALL OVER) their legs and of course they would have perfect manners and always behave exactly as they should.
Fast forward five years to the life of a real mother of two that works full time and just doesn’t have the strength to argue, desire to push or expectations of children and here you go….
How to Dress the Kiddos for a Dinner Party!!
1) Give them a choice! Narrow it down and let them choose together what they want to wear. My 2 1/2 year old, Hayley, loves to do eenie meenie miney mo (she catches a pirate by the toe) and typically picks whatever is on the left. Yes, then I put the one I hope she will choose on the left!!
2) Try and let go of your hatred towards characters and let them wear their superhero or princess garb if they want. A happy content child is way easier to entertain at a dinner party then a grumpy, uncomfortable child
3) Blend…Since I have a boy and a girl we can’t do exact matching outfit (unless it’s batman shirts see above ..) so I like to try and get a color and go with it! Like this dress below of Hayley’s had green dots so I put Derek in a green shirt
4) Let them add their flare!! Derek likes to “pop” his collar and Hayley loves to add bows and jewels to her outfits. I let them do whatever they want
5) When all else fails…..give up, given in and get them there alive!! You can always bring matching PJ’s!
To get the full Progressively Perfect Virtual Dinner Party blog hop experience, click the links below in order:
- Diapered Daze and Knights- Tuna Salad Rolls
- The Fabulous Food Fairy- Roasted Tomato Caprice in Garlic Bread Bowls
- Worthington Lower- Chili Layered Dip
- Chockababy- Sweet & Spicy Chicken Wings
- Life at the BAT Cave- Chipotle Shrimp Salad
- Life Without Pink- Homemade Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
- Look What Mom Found- Dad Too!- Veggie and Pasta Summer Salad
- Real: The Kitchen and Beyond- Blackberry Melon Lemonade
- Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps- Moscow Mule Beer Cocktails
- The Vintage Mom- Kale & Zucchini Meatloaf
- Souffle Bombay- Lettuce Wraps
- the whole-y grail- Family Friendly Grilled Pizza 5 Ways
- Whatever Works- Spicy Sausage & Arugula Pasta
Coffee, Tea & Dessert
An Opera Singer in the Kitchen- Dark Chocolate Cream Pie with Berries
Will’s World- S’mores Frozen Coffee
- A Grande Life- No Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake
- The Naughty Mommy- Key Lime Pie
- Legos and Lattes- Vanilla Spiced Chai Lattes
- The Turnip Farmer- Vodka Gummi Bears
Decorations, Outfits and Music
- Crafty Garden Mama- Eco Friendly Entertaining
- Finnegan and the Hughes- Dressing the Kiddos
- Honey Badger Mom- Progressive Party Playlist, Playa!
Hope you have as much fun reading through the party as we did planning it!